Pages

Friday 23 September 2011

When I grow up....

Since I was little I have never really known what I've wanted to be when I grow up. My mind was always uncertain- I remember my first career choice when I was 10 or so, was to be a hairdresser- and let's just say it's a good job I didn't pursue that, after the misadventure of cutting my fringe..... plus the whole burning my hair off incident circa 2007.....

Then I wanted to be a Primary School teacher....then a childminder like my mummy......then an R.E teacher (still a distant possibility in my mind).... then a psychotherapist like my dad....

Then I decided to study Criminology and Criminal Justice... just out of interest- and boy has it kept me interested!!! I officially LOVE my course.... so this then brought questions of "so what job are you going to do with that?" I found myself making up answers just so I didn't look like a fool, e.g. working with young offenders, or families of victims and offenders. To be honest, I do think these are interesting possibilities...but I just keep thinking it's not for me...would probably be rather depressing....

Now I do have a career I want to pursue (other than that of being a mother- yep had to get that cheese in there ;)... but I always feel a wee bit of a fool telling people- as if they're going to laugh at me and say "as if!!!" But today, I was presented with a survey from uni... it went something like this....

1) Do you know what career you wish to pursue? 
I nervously circled yes... feeling the weight of the questions to come...

2) Please select from the following.. (a huge list of law/crime related jobs-understandable obviously!!)
Right at the bottom was "Other" my friend :D so I circled... but then I had to "specify"... not so friendly... rather intimidating actually... so I quickly scribbled "Fiction writer".... to make myself feel a bit better I also circled "Youth worker/probation officer", writing that I was also interested in this... perhaps trying to prove my sanity...


3) What are you planning to do post graduation? Do you already have a job in line?
Pffftttt.... THE PRESSURE!! I swear I combusted a wee bit inside... so I wrote... kinda a bit embarassed... "Start/continue to write, and submit to publishers." Then again I proved my sanity by following it with "I'm also interested in doing a Masters if the money is there!!" Which isn't a lie- I would LOVE to... but.. yeh... the money is definitely not there!!!!

I then strategically waited to hand it in, so that someone elses would quickly be put on top, so the lady didn't read it and stare at me as if I had just said I wanted to be an astronaut....

So yes.... was a bit of an adventure!! However I do feel that now having said it "outloud" at such, it is like admitting an addiction... so the more I say it, the better things will get....

When I grow up I want to be a writer!!! 
And lets just say... there's a book in the works- very slow works- but still the works :)

No comments:

Post a Comment